“As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases."
For woodworkers, there will arise a need two join more than one piece of wood. Well, a biscuit joiner will come in handy and join these two pieces perfectly. It creates a long-lasting bond between the two pieces since the glue makes the biscuits expand and strengthen the bond. You can either choose a corded or cordless biscuit joiner. Corded joiners are typically seen as the more superior and efficient ones due to their direct connection to the power outlet. However, the cordless ones offer you the freedom of movement and can be used even in remote areas with no power. Biscuit joiners are defined by their power and by the accuracy and neatness of their cutting and joining. Let us, therefore, review the top biscuit joiners today!
- 1 top 10 best Biscuit Joiner 2020 [Table]
- 2 top 7 best Biscuit Joiner Reviews 2020
- 2.1 1. DEWALT Biscuit Joiner Review - DEWALT Plate Joiner Kit
- 2.2 2. porter cable biscuit joiner review - PORTER CABLE Plate Joiner Kit.
- 2.3 3. makita biscuit joiner review - Plate joiner too!
- 2.4 4. Festool biscuit joiner - 574432 Domino Joiner
- 2.5 5. Festool biscuit joiner - 574447 XL DF 700 Domino Joiner Set
- 2.6 6. Makita Cordless Plate Joiner - Best Cordless Biscuit Joiner So Far!
- 2.7 7. lamello biscuit joiner - Classic X 101600 Biscuit Joiner reviews
- 3 Biscuit Joiner Buying Guide
- 4 Biscuit Joinery Tips & Tricks - YouTube
- 5 Frequently Asked Questions
- 6 Final Verdict & Recommendation
top 10 best Biscuit Joiner 2020 [Table]
|1||DEWALT Plate Joiner Kit, 6.5-Amp...||1,195 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|2||REXBETI Wood Biscuit Plate Joiner Kit,...||425 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Makita PJ7000 Plate Joiner||409 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|4||AOBEN 8.5 Amp Biscuit Cutter Plate...||376 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Ryobi -JM83K-AC Biscuit Joiner Kit||66 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|6||PORTER-CABLE Plate Joiner Kit, 7-Amp...||528 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2020-11-25 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
top 7 best Biscuit Joiner Reviews 2020
1. DEWALT Biscuit Joiner Review - DEWALT Plate Joiner Kit
- It comes with a mighty 6.5 amp motor that can cut through the hardest woods.
- It has a 3-year warranty.
- An adjustable fence that is always in line with the blade.
- A heavy-duty aluminum shoe that does not scratch your work-piece.
- Preset depth stops that accommodate all biscuit sizes.
- May tend to be quite noisy.
- Its fence may tend to move slightly, causing cuts to be inaccurate.
- It has a small dust collection bag.
This is a biscuit joiner that can be used on any type of wood, even the harder ones. This is because Dewalt gives you a powerful motor, rated 6.5 amp. The motor can, therefore, run at 10000 RPM, leaving no work unfinished. Another great feature of the joiner is its shoe. The aluminum shoe is excellent since it is non-marring, and your work-piece will come out nicely without any scratches.
It is effortless to set up your joiner. It has preset stops that accommodate all biscuit sizes; 0, 10, and 20.
The design of the fence of the joiner is customized to fit your cutting needs. It is possible to keep it parallel to the blade always as you cut. It is adjustable from 0 to 90 degrees. Dewalt gives a warranty for 3 years; thus, you can purchase your joiner confidently.
Previous users' main issues are that the machine can be quite loud during the cutting process. Its dust collection system is very effective though the dust collection bag is slightly small.
2. porter cable biscuit joiner review - PORTER CABLE Plate Joiner Kit.
- It has a powerful 7 amp motor to cut through any wood.
- It has a heavy solid build increasing its longevity.
- It comes with 7 cutting settings.
- It has an adjustable fence that can be tilted up to 135 degrees.
- Its nose has rough sandpaper to prevent slipping and injuries.
- Uses 4-inch blades and 2-inch blades that are easily changed.
- It has a small dust bag that gets full fast.
This kit from Porter-Cable is a kit that comes with all tools required by any woodworker that uses biscuits in his tasks. It has a powerful motor, 7 amp that can cut through any wood with a blade rotation of 10,000 RPM. The joiner is of strong solid build and, therefore, very durable.
It has a fence designed to give you the best results during your cutting and joining. It has 90 degrees stop and can be tilted up to 135 degrees. Ever used a joiner, and the blades were not strong enough? Well, no need to worry about this joiner. It has 4-inch blades that are strong enough and can be changed easily.
Depending on the task at hand, you can choose the best cutting setting from the available 7 settings. You, therefore, can achieve the neatest finish results. Additionally, your safety is upheld; the joiner's nose is fitted with sandpaper to prevent slips that may cause cuts and injuries. It also has an effective dust collection system though it is slightly small and gets clogged easily.
3. makita biscuit joiner review - Plate joiner too!
- It is a Powerful and precise joiner with a 5.6 amp motor.
- It has an adjustable fence that can be adjusted at 0, 45, and 90 degrees.
- Has 6 preset depth cutting settings.
- Very durable due to the cast aluminum used.
- It has an ergonomic design.
- It has a dust port that can be replaced.
- Shoes are fitted with a non-marring rubber strip.
- It Looks quite overpriced as compared with other joiners with similar features.
- Settings on the depth scale cannot be read with ease.
With a motor rated 5.6 amp that can spin the blades up to 11000 rpm, this joiner will have no problem cutting through the hardest woods. It comes with an adjustable fence with a large cam lock and has stops at 0, 45, and 90 degrees for making cuts. The fence is aluminum and of solid build to last longer. Using the joiner is very easy since it has 6 preset cutting settings, which you can choose depending on your task.
The joiner is designed ergonomically to fit human use. It is slim and comfortable to use the tool, and its 11.9 pounds weight makes it quite portable. Its top handle is large and comfortable. In a bid to prevent scratches on your work-piece, this Makita product has shoes lined with non-marring strips of rubber.
To prevent dust-related complications such as Asthma and provide you with a dust-free working environment, it has a dust port. The dust port can be replaced in case of malfunctioning.
4. Festool biscuit joiner - 574432 Domino Joiner
- HEPA certified dust extraction system.
- A very adjustable fence.
- Excellent, precise, and perfect cutting action; oscillatory.
- Has indexing pins for precise and ease easy alignment.
- Convenience; has a dial to adjust the mortise width easily.
- It is light and very portable.
- It is a very professional biscuit joiner that is quite costly.
This is the joiner for any woodworker looking for perfection. Are you looking for the best and neatest results? Then this is the joiner to look for. It has features working almost perfectly to give you the best output. First, its cutting action is unique. The blade oscillates to allow effective repeated cutting and high precision. It also has a dial to enable you to adjust the mortise width easily. The joiner features a 5 mm domino cutter, sustainer, and plug-in power cord to ensure precision is achieved.
It has the best adjustable fence. The fence can be adjusted at 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5 and, 90 degrees. Therefore, the fence will always be in line with the blade even during angle cuts ensuring that you achieve accurate and neat cuts. Additionally, the joiner has indexing pins to ensure the joiner is precisely and adequately aligned with the piece you are working on.
It has a superb dust collection system. You will not get exposed to dust when using the joiner; it has a HEPA certified dust collection system. This dust extractor removes dust, effectively enhancing the long life of the cutter. The cutout biscuit grooves are kept clean and ready for gluing.
The only drawback may be its price, which may be relatively high due to its perfect service.
5. Festool biscuit joiner - 574447 XL DF 700 Domino Joiner Set
- Effective dust extraction system.
- It is a pivoting fence that can be adjusted at 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, 90 degrees.
- Precise and efficient cutting system; is rotating and oscillatory.
- The Five mortise depth adjustments from 19/32 inches to 2 ¾ inches.
- It has a convenient dial to adjust the width of the mortise.
- Indexing pins for easy and precise alignment.
- Optimal trim for joining of narrow edges.
- Has 5 ½ inch tenons suitable for large tasks.
- It Is on the high price lists due to its professional service delivery.
It is a set that comes fully equipped with all tools you need to cut and join your woodwork. It has a patented oscillating and rotating cutting system that allows for repeated and neat perfect mortising. It has depth adjustments for the mortises; the five different adjustments range from 19/32"- 2 ¾" inches. The width of the mortise can be easily adjusted using a convenient dial.
Dust is not a problem when working with this machine. It has an adequate dust extraction system that gives you a healthy working environment and ensures that your workpiece is neat and cleanup will, therefore, not be necessary.
The joiner has a perfectly functional design. It has a pivoting fence with positive stops at 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, and 90 degrees; this is easily adjusted. Indexing pins enhance its precision; they enable accurate alignment with the workpiece. If you are cutting large holes, long tenons (5 ½ inches) will work perfectly for you. It also comes with a non-compulsory trim when the task involves narrow edges.
Its professional service makes it quite costly than other joiners.
6. Makita Cordless Plate Joiner - Best Cordless Biscuit Joiner So Far!
- Heavy-duty solid build enhancing its durability.
- It has an ergonomic design.
- It has a compact 18V Lithium-ion battery.
- It is lightweight, cordless and therefore has easy portability.
- The battery has a fast charge design with full charge achieved in only 30 minutes.
- It has a cast aluminum fence with three positive stops.
- Has six mortise depth stops accommodating all biscuit sizes.
- It does not come with a battery and charger; they have to be purchased separately.
The Makita joiner can be used in places with no power connection and still provide very efficient performance. It requires a charger where you can charge its 18- volt lithium-ion battery. The battery powers your joiner, which can make 320 cuts before it needs a recharge. This battery is compact and well protected from overheating. This Makita joiner is among the few others that give you complete freedom since you won't be tied to a power outlet.
It is powerful with a 6500 RPM thus can cut even through the harder woods. It is also ergonomically designed with a comfortable and firm top handle grip. Its weight is only 7 pounds; therefore, you can easily carry it around at your site of operation. Its heavy-duty solid build will ensure the joiner lasts long.
The joiner has a durable cast aluminum fence. This pivot fence can be adjusted easily since it has three positive stops starting at 0, 45 and, 90 degrees. The mortise depth stops allow up to 6 biscuit sizes, thus accommodating all the standard sizes.
7. lamello biscuit joiner - Classic X 101600 Biscuit Joiner reviews
- It has a 1-year warranty and a 10-year guarantee for spare part availability.
- It has a central locking system.
- It is durable, made of metal that is machine-milled.
- It has an ergonomic design.
- It has an adjustable fence with six positive stops.
- It is powerful with a 780-watt motor.
- It does not have a dust bag.
This is one of the best biscuit joiners in the world, considering the inventors of biscuit joiners produce it. If you are looking for a long-lasting joiner, this Lamello product will be perfect for you. It is of solid build metal and has a year warranty, and you are assured of the availability of its spare parts.
It is a powerful joiner with a 780-watt motor and can, therefore, cut through all woods. Using it, you can cut mortises for 12 different biscuit sizes without changing the blade. It also has an adjustable and durable fence. This fence can always remain in line with the blade due to its various positive stops at 0, 22.5, 45, 67.5, and 90 degrees.
The joiner is ergonomically designed with a comfortable base plate. It has a front and side stop to enhance alignment on the workpiece.
This Lamello joiner, however, has one big drawback; it does not have a dust bag and, therefore, poor dust extraction.
Biscuit Joiner Buying Guide
Anytime you think of buying a joiner, you have to consider its power. Depending on the tasks you have to perform may be on soft or very hardwood, you choose the suitable motor power. Any motor with a 5amp or above power rating is ideal for cutting any wood.
The fence is a very critical part of a joiner. A wrong fence will always result in inaccurate cuts. Therefore, always go for the joiner with the most adjustable fence; it should have at least three positive stops. Fences with up to 6 positive stops offer the best adjustability.
You also ought to be very keen on the dust extraction system of the joiner. An ideal joiner should be able to extract all dust and ensure you have a healthy working environment as well as ensure no cleaning will be needed.
The durability of your joiner is critical too. Go for a heavy-duty joiner that will serve you for the longest time possible.
Biscuit Joinery Tips & Tricks - YouTube
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Is A Biscuit Joiner Worth It?
A: A biscuit joiner offers the best bond between two wood pieces. The biscuit applied in the slot cut out joins the two pieces perfectly. The glue used expands the biscuit, enhancing the bond further.
The joiner not only cuts out the mortise and joins the two pieces together, but it also planes the two surfaces. It lines up the surfaces to achieve a smooth, uniform surface.
Q: Which Biscuit Joiner Is Best?
A: I highly recommend the Festool 574432 and Festool 574447 joiners. Though they are on the high price ends, they give you perfect and accurate results. They have a unique cutting action whereby the blade rotates and oscillates to produce precise cuts. Also, they have a great fence design. It is an adjustable fence that can be adjusted at six different degrees. Additionally, their dust collection systems are superb.
Q: What Is The Difference Between A Plate Joiner And Biscuit Joiner?
A: These are names used interchangeably for the same joiner. The joiner can join two pieces of wood by using a circular blade to cut a hole [referred commonly as the mouth] in the opposite edges of these two wood pieces. A highly dried biscuit is fitted in this slot, and the slot is filled with glue. The glue expands the biscuit to enhance further the bond created.
Q: Are Biscuit Joints Strong?
A: Biscuits joints cannot rely fully on strength. The only source of strength is the adhesive used to bond the biscuit to the slot. This does not offer enough strength for the joined piece of wood should it be subjected to excessive shear. The slots' tightness is always an issue since it is easily affected by simple human errors or the machine you are using. Secondly, the biscuit does not penetrate deeply into the two pieces of wood; therefore, the joint will not be very strong.
Q: How Do You Join A Board Without A Biscuit Joiner?
A: I recommend that you choose the best wood adhesive available to join two board pieces. Use a belt sander to make sure the two edges to be joined are flat and uniform. Use a straight edge to ensure that these two edges are uniform and that each edge is at a right angle with its other edges. You will not require a biscuit. Apply the amount of adhesive that is just enough on the edge of one of the wood pieces to be joined; lastly, press the two pieces together precisely and firmly.
Final Verdict & Recommendation
I hope that you are now fully on board with biscuit joiners. As we have seen above, the joiners have many similar features and drawbacks too. Whenever you need to look for a joiner, always first consider the nature of the wood you are working on and the nature of the task. Though all of the products reviewed above are great, I highly recommend the Festool 574432 and Festool 574447 since the two joiners enable you to achieve the most precise and neat joints. Finally, always put your safety first and be careful in handling the joiner, especially when used to avoid accidental cuts.