Drill Doctor Reviews 2020 [Comaprison Table]
|1||Drill Doctor 750X Drill Bit Sharpener||2,249 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|2||Drill Bit Sharpener, 118 Or 135 Deg||758 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|3||Drill Doctor DD350X Drill Bit Sharpener||930 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|4||Drill Doctor DD350X 350X Drill Bit...||374 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|5||Drill Bit Sharpener, 180 Grit||25 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|6||Drill Doctor SA01751PA 1/2" - 3/4" Large...||52 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|7||Drill Doctor DA70100PF 3/4" Large Chuck...||17 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|8||Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener Ken...||5,726 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|9||Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener||9,240 Reviews||Buy on Amazon|
|10||Drill Doctor WSKTS Knife and Tool...||Buy on Amazon|
Last update on 2020-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
A drill is a necessary tool to have in your toolshed. You can use it for doing so many things. Any DIY or a professional carpenter or mason knows just how important a drill is. But what do you do when the drill bits are broken or dull? That's where the drill doctor comes in.
A drill doctor is a sharpening tool; it acts as a doctor to your drill bits. There are different drill doctor models for any user.
Drill Doctor Reviews
The drill doctor can sharpen any high-speed steel, cobalt, carbide, and tin-coated masonry bits. A drill doctor can help you save money. This is because you don’t have to buy new drill bits all the time. You can use it to sharpen your bits and reuse them whenever you need to.
A drill doctor will prolong your drill’s life and help you get high-quality projects from your drill. This is because a good drill will give you work that is clean cut. It's like a chef with his knife, to get good results you need to have an excellent and well-sharpened drill bit.
In this review, we are going to look at 3 of the best drill doctors available. These are some of the best drill doctors that will help get your drills in tip-top shape. It will make your drill bits sharp and highly performing.
We are going to look at the Drill Doctor 750X, the DD350X, and the DD350X 350X. These drills can handle any material whether steel, carbide or any other material. Without further ado, let us look into three of the best drill doctors in the market today.
top 3 drill doctor reviews
1. Drill Doctor 750X Drill Bit Sharpener
- Can sharpen masonry bits and standard twist from 3/32 to ¾ inches
- Has an adjustable material take-off that lets you control how much material you remove
- Is durable due to the cast aluminum-point angle shuttle
- Can create and sharpen split drill bits
- Has an easily replaceable diamond sharpening wheel
- The motor is underpowered
- Plastic parts can wear out easily
The drill doctor 750X is one of the top-rating drill doctor models available. It can be a little on the expensive side, but it is worth it. It performs more functions than any other model. Some of its features include;
- Custom point 115-140 degrees
- Replaceable diamond wheel
- Back-cut split points
- Preset 118 and 135 point
- Sharpens 3/32” to ¾” bits
- Carrying case
This drill can bring old dull and broken drill bits back to life. This drill doctor sharpens high-speed carbide, steel, cobalt as well as carbide-tipped and tin-coated masonry bits. The drill doctor can also run many drill bits, so you don't have to buy new bits. The tool saves you a lot of money seeing as the drill bits are expensive.
The drill bit can also prolong your drill's life. This feature is essential because having a dull drill can be detrimental to your drill's life. This is because a dull drill bit produces shoddy quality work and cause wear and tear to your drill. A sharp bit will also save you more power and allow you to do less work and use less energy than working with a dull bit.
The 750X also allows you to use an adjustable material take-off that lets you have control over how much you want to remove out of your material. This will enable you to fine-tune your sharpening process and elongate your bit's life even longer.
Drill Doctor DD350X Drill Bit SharpenerFeatures
- Can sharpen carbide, light metal, steel, and tin-coated bits
- Has an easily replaceable diamond-studded wheel
- Has a handy, ergonomic design
- Has V-block jaws that hold the bit in place for precision
- 3-year warranty
- Powerful motor
- Makes droning noises
- Can give inconsistent speed
- Can sharpen different-sized and popular drill bits
- Can sharpen metal, masonry steel, carbide, and tin-coated bits
- Has a handy, ergonomic design
- Heavy-grade diamond-studded sharpening wheel
- High-power motor
- V-block jaws
- 3-year warranty
This drill doctor boasts of being user-friendly. This is because it needs only two steps to sharpen the drill bits. The chuck also has an alignment feature, eliminating the need for an alignment port. All you have to do is lock the bit, position the chuck and keep doing it until you get the alignment you need.
The drill doctor also has V-block jaws. The jaws hold the drill bit in place as it sharpens. It also allows it to be secure, making it suitable, especially for beginners and hobbyists. The drill doctor can also sharpen different bits of different sizes. It can sharpen 3/32 to1/2 inch bits.
The drill doctor might seem small, but it is the best you can get. It has a handy, ergonomic design that is easily portable. It makes it easy to ferry it from place to place. On top of that, it is stable. The stability ensures that it will stay in place even when working with large materials.
It also has a diamond-studded sharpening wheel that is easily replaceable. The DD350X has a magnet motor that provides all its power. The motor allows you to work with all the materials you have, no matter the speed, size, or material you are sharpening.
Drill Doctor DD350X 350X
- Can sharpen from 3/32 to ½ inch bits
- Uses durable materials
- Has a long-lasting sharpening wheel
- Only needs two steps to set up
- Has V-block jaws to hold the bits in place when sharpening
- Hard to understand instructions
- Suitable for normal drill bits
- Professional design for durability
- Only needs two steps to use
- Has V-block jaws
This is the final drill doctor we will look at, and we saved the best for last. This drill doctor can work with standard drill bits ranging from 3/32 - ½ inch. It is ideal for use in shops that utilize all the regular bit styles. It is suitable for use with wood and some light metals.
This drill bit is designed for durability. It has a quality diamond sharpening wheel. As we all know, a diamond is one of the toughest materials available. That is what makes sure that the wheel doesn't change its shape. It also has a nice design to prevent bits from overheating. It also ensures that the bits retain their tempering during sharpening.
The drill doctor only needs two steps to set up. Doing this will eliminate the requirement of getting an alignment port. It also makes the sharpening process easy hence this drill sharpener ideal for homes as well as workshops. To set it up, secure the drill bit and then turn chuck until you achieve a 118-degree angle.
To secure the bit, the sharpener uses V block jaws that hold it in place. It also eliminates the need to twist the jaws regardless of whether you are using smaller bits. And for the cherry on top, the drill doctor comes with a 3-year warranty. The warranty protects the sharpener from design flaws.
Now that we’ve seen the different drill doctors there are, here are some few things to look out for to make sure you get the correct drill doctor for you
- need to look out for the overall development of the drill doctor you want to buy. You should find one that uses only high-quality materials since it will be durable. Some of the high-quality materials you should look out for are carbide, tungsten, steel, cobalt, and tin.
- bit sharpeners come in varying sizes. To get the correct one, you need to get one that meets all your needs. A compact model will have better convenience and will also allow you to have easily accessible storage space. You will need to make sure that the sharpener you get is compatible with the bit size.
- Ease of operation
- can be hard to operate a difficult sharpener with a complicated design. You should look for one that is easy to assemble and use. The ease of operation should not take away from its performance. This is especially important if you are a beginner.
- goes without saying that whichever sharpener you get should be versatile. Some can sharpen different bit sizes. You should also look for one that works faster; electric designs work quicker and are more efficient.
The drill sharpeners above have high customer ratings with some rating 4/5. The ratings are high due to the sharpener's ability to perform well. These drill doctors are versatile in design; some can sharpen different and varying drill bits. The drill bits can vary from 3/32 to ½ inches, and the drill doctors above can handle them.
Another thing that boosts the ratings of these doctors is the material they use. They use high-quality materials that can withstand sharpening materials like carbide, steel, tungsten, among others. The sturdy materials ensure that the drill doctors last for a long time and are not subject to easy wear and tear.
One final thing that boosts the ratings is their functionality. You should look for the different features that they have. The drills above have V-block jaws. These jaws ensure that the drill bits are locked in place to get accurate precision.
One of the things to improve according to customers is the build of the drill doctors. Some of them are weak and might break down quickly. Another thing is the sound they produce. All in all, the drill doctors are highly performing and get high reviews from their customers.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are drill doctors any good?
A: drill doctors are excellent. This is because they are good at what they do, that is sharpening, and they are easy to use. They have features that help keep the drill bits in place for precision. They are also versatile so you can use them to sharpen different drill bits easily. These features, together with many others, add to the functionality of the drill doctors, making them the best to have.
Q: what is the best drill bit sharpener on the market?
A: the three drill bits above rank among the highest in the market. Some others that are in the levels include;
-the Darex V390 Industrial Drill Bit Sharpener
- the Xtremepower US Sharpening Machine
- Woodstock D4144 Drill Bit Sharpener
-Drill Bit Sharpener Tormek DBS-22, among others
These are some of the best drill bit sharpeners in the market. They have the best features and use high-quality materials that ensure they last longer and can handle any type of material thrown their way.
Q: how do you sharpen drill bits with a drill doctor?
A: before you start sharpening, make sure you align all the drill doctor parts. To do this, you can consult a user guide. If you are using the drill doctors above, you just have to adjust the knob. You turn the knob anti-clockwise till it stops then clockwise three marks.
- Insert the chuck and align it with the cam guide.
- Then rotate the chuck one-half turn clockwise.
- Turn from white line to white line. The number of lines you turn will depend on the bit you want to sharpen.
- Proceed to remove the chuck and check for the sharpness
- Repeat the process until the bit is sharpened
Final Verdict & Recommendations
No one wants to be working with dull drill bits. To combat this problem, the drill doctors come into play. They sharpen different bits, and they do a wonderful job at it. Some of the other drill doctors you can look at including the Work Sharp Knife & Tool Sharpener, the Woodstock D4144 Drill Sharpener, and the Woodcut Tools Tru-Grind Turning Tool Sharpener among others.
Make sure you get a drill doctor that is the correct size and has superior construction. It should also be versatile in dealing with the different drill bits you might have. If you are looking for good drill doctors to sharpen your drill bits, give these a chance. I assure you, you will not be disappointed.